The New Year is here, and you know what that means—setting New Year resolutions! This year, we challenge you to set resolutions as a family. Setting resolutions as a family is a great way to set a positive example for your kids. Another plus — you’ll be able to hold one another accountable. Resolutions don’t have to be all about working out or saving more; they can be something fun for everyone to do together!
Tips & tricks to keeping resolutions:
1. Write it down & make it visible– Seeing is believing, they say. If you make a resolution, you’re more likely to keep up with it if you see it daily. Get the family together, make a poster of your one (or many) resolutions, and hang it somewhere to be seen by everyone–like the fridge!
2. Have your resolutions be specific actions rather than ideas– Creating a tangible goal is a sure way to keep up a resolution. With a resolution that requires action, you’re more likely to take the steps to start, rather than simply talking about an idea, such as “I want to see my family more.” Add an action to it: “I want to see my family more by going to the park on Sundays.”
3. Set resolutions as weekly or monthly– We’re all busy, but if you create space in your calendar, there isn’t a reason not to follow through! Based on your resolution, determine whether you should complete it weekly or monthly. Find a time that works for everyone, and from then on, your resolution is scheduled!
Our favorite ideas for resolutions:
1. Game night: Monthly– What better way to spend time with family than a little friendly competition? Change up the game each time you play and keep a record of the winners! This is the perfect resolution if spending more time together is at the top of your list. Pick a Friday night, Sunday afternoon, or even Tuesday after dinner. Play some classic games or try some new ones—this is an easy, fun resolution to set.
2. Cook a meal all together: Weekly– If you’re hoping to spend time together while teaching the kids valuable skills at the same time, cooking a meal together is a great go-to. You’ll be able to teach the kids special family recipes, try new meals, and basics of cooking, all while you create memories. Everyone will feel proud of the tasty dish they cooked, too.
3. No junk food for a day: Weekly– This is a tough one, but it will help the family to stay healthy! Let your family know that one day without junk food only has positives and isn’t that long! The kids can look at it as a challenge and feel good about eating fruits and veggies. This resolution can jump start your family to choosing tasty, yet healthy snacks.
4. Exercise together: Weekly– We all know that the gym is packed in January, and exercising doesn’t have to only look like going to the gym. Get the family together for a walk or jog around the neighborhood, play a game of your favorite sport in the backyard, get your yoga mats out for a quick class at home, or find a local bike path. The options are endless with this resolution. You’ll never regret a little workout!
5. Take a day trip: Monthly- We know what you’re thinking, “I don’t have the time or budget for that!” Taking a day trip doesn’t have to be expensive, and it can be spread out over the year. Take a trip to hike to a local scenic area or national park, attend a football game, find a local waterpark, or drive to a nearby lake or beach. Your mini vacations will turn into priceless memories for years to come.
The year is what you make it, so why not make 2019 a memorable one? As you look back on the year, you’ll be glad you created family resolutions. Take the challenge, show your kids how resolutions can serve as fun, attainable goals. Happy New Year!